PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

Saturday, September 1, 2007

Summer's End


Doesn't this picture just say it all? One last dip in the swimming pool before it's put away for the year. This was on Wednesday - the day before Makele started back to school. The kids had one last hurrah with summer - popsicles and all!
Thursday was Makele's big day - her first day at her new preschool.


After much agonizing (mostly on my part) we decided to put her in a private preschool to help with her language and social delays. Her speech therapist at her old school told us with Makele's personality she'd probably do well in a Montessori school that is more child-centered-learning. We found one in South Ogden, just down the street from Ogden Regional Hospital. I e-mailed the director to ask if they were any openings left. She said there were two more, so we went and toured the school. I was really impressed with the classroom and the school's philosophies. We prayed about it and felt it was the right school for Makele where she could get the help she needs. She will go five days a week. I think that will really help her socially - she'll be able to interact with the other children on a more regular basis and hopefully come out of her shell a little bit.
She was so excited to go on her first day and had no problem walking straight into the classroom without a backward glance. There is a little fish tank in the wall between her classroom and the hall outside, so I put Jack on the step so he could see the fish, and I could see Makele. I watched for just a minute, I didn't want to be too overbearing and besides that, it was almost more than I could stand to see her in there doing so well without me! Where has the time gone? She isn't supposed to be growing up! I'm glad she is liking it, though. It would be sooooo hard for me to drop off a screaming, crying Makele. She will still be getting speech therapy once a week from the weber school district since her Montessori school doesn't have a speech therapist there at the school.

When I went to pick her up after her first day, she come out all smiles and gave me a huge hug. Then Jack said, "Makie!" and gave her a big hug too. It was so cute to see the two of them hugging each other in the hallway after their long 3 hour seperation! Even though Jack is used to Makele being away, he seemed to be lost that day without her. He followed me around kind-of dejected like; he really missed her while she was away.

Yesterday afternoon Shawna called and asked if she could take Makele and Jack to Mom and Dad's house for the weekend. I thought she was crazy - but she said she had been missing them, so who was I to stand in her way (ha, ha!)? I almost don't know what to do with myself - a whole weekend with no kids! Let's get this party started! Jeff and I went to the movie theater last night for the first time in years, seriously. We felt like amateurs when the lady turned the screen around and asked us which seats we wanted. We were like, "oh, you have assigned seating?" She said, "well, we prefer to call reserved seating, but yes, we do." It really has been a long time I guess. We saw "Stardust" which was the only thing I saw on the listing that looked any good. Even at that, I wasn't expecting too much from it. It figures, the one time we can go see a movie, is the time there are no movies I want to see! I was pleasantly surprised though. It was a really fun movie - Jeff thought so too. Robert DeNiro is hilarious in it - it is worth it just to see his character.

Well I'm off to do laundry and scrub some toilets - I lead such a glamorous life, I know!






No comments: