PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Don't Try This at Home. . .

I spent half of yesterday traveling to Virginia. My flight was at 3:40 - but took off about twenty minutes late. After a plane change in Chicago, we got to Baltimore at midnight. We caught a shuttle to the rental car place and picked up our rental car. All the cars were in a parking garage. In order to get out, you had to insert a ticket to lift the gate and lower the spike strips. The ticket we were given wasn't working in the machine, so we went back to the booth, but everyone had disappeared. We waited and waited, but to no avail. Finally we saw someone headed out of the garage. So we get the bright idea to just follow them out. Bad idea. The spike strips came up after the front tires cleared, slashing our back tires completely. The thing is that we didn't know it had happened until we got about a mile up the road. By then the tires were completely toast. We tried calling the rental place, but only got an automated message that led to nowhere. A good samaritan that was working in the place where we had parked came out and gave me a ride back to the rental place where I sheepishly had to explain what happened. All I can say is that it's a good thing we got insurance! It had already paid for itself! They gave us another car and another ticket to get out of the garage. This time it actually worked - although I was sweating as I went over the lowered spikes. We drove about an hour to Chantilly where we crashed at the hotel (maybe crashed isn't the best word here) at 4:00 am. Good times.

3 comments:

Staci Taylor said...

Oh wow, Brenda, that sucks about the tires! Thank goodness for insurance! I can't wait to hear about the scrapbooking convention! Have a great time!!

Anonymous said...

Probably should have just stayed home, maybe it's a sign.
I thought I was reading Dad's blog there for a minute. Hey carry a gun now those easterners know how vulnerable you are by reading this. Hey have fun back there and watch your back.

Anonymous said...

pqGood grief Brenda -
I had no idea about your first experience regarding the rental car tires, etc. !!! Of course, I had very little time (none) to check my computer to see if you had written on your blog. Did you think we were crazy yesterday by not even asking about it all? You'll say No but I bet you're just being nice. Anyway, I'm sorry I didn't check up on you. It did sound dangerous though. I'm glad you are home safe and sound. Did you get any rest last night? Yeh, right! I'm thinking of you today. Love you, Marilyn, Mom