PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

Monday, June 28, 2010

Using Brushes as Clipping Masks

Don't forget today is the start of Jessica Sprague's free Computer Tricks for Cards class! It's also the last day to sign up, so be sure to get over there!

I had the pleasure of working with Splendid Fiins' new Brilliant Background Brushes that are new in the store today. I originally stamped the circle background brush in white, but wanted to punch it up a bit with some color, so I created a clipping mask from the brush.
Here's how to do it:
Step 1: Take selections from 6 different Brilliant Patterned Papers by Splendid Fiins. I wanted the wavy lines to match up, so I took the following selections from each paper:
Step 2: Line each selection up on a blank canvas and flatten.
Step 3: Open up a blank 12x12 canvas in photoshop. Stamp the desired background brush onto the canvas.
Step 4: Drag the flattened image from step 2 on top of the brush layer from step 3.
Step 5: Place the cursor between the brush layer and the rainbow layer (layer 1 and 2 here). While holding down the alt key, left click the mouse. Your rainbow layer will now be clipped to the shape of the brush.
Step 6: While the rainbow layer is selected, use the smudge and dodge tools between the changes in color to blend. This reduces the harsh change in color and makes the colors blend together better.
Step 7: Merge the rainbow layer and brush layer together. Drag them to your layout.

This technique can be used with a variety of brushes, colors and patterned papers.



These type of brushes make perfect accents for photos. Do they come any cuter than this? I think not. ;)
Try it out, and make sure to link me to your project - I'd love to see it! If you have any trouble deciphering my photoshop babble, let me know and I'll see if I can make it clearer!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Tia said...

That picture of Aiden is so cute. Love it!

Anonymous said...

A very clever idea. Thanks for the tutorial.