Thanks for the inspiration, Cami!
Supplies: Patterned Paper, Rhinestones: Rusty Pickle; Glitter Letters: American Crafts; Yarn: J.P. Coats; Stitching Template: Bazzill; Digital Filmstrip: Katie Pertiet, www.designerdigitals.com; Software: Adobe.
I found this layout I did a couple of years ago. My grandmother crocheted that little yellow coat for me when I was a baby, so I put it on Makele for a photo. I went all sorts of crazy on this one, crocheting the edge of the layout and the flowers.

There is a hidden journaling block on the top right corner of the layout underneath the floral vellum. It pulls out to read:
Your Great Grandma Ellison made this little crocheted jacket for me when I was a baby. It was so neat to see you wearing it 23 years later.
Your Great Grandma had such a wonderful talent for crafts and crochet especially. She made countless afghans for her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. When you were born, she sent a beautiful white crocheted blanket that we wrapped you in on your blessing day. When I was little, she crocheted dolls and intricate doll dresses for my birthdays. You love playing with these dolls, especially the one that sings a lullaby when you press her back.
Because I grew up in Utah and Grandma lived in Creswell, Oregon, we didn’t get to see each other too often. Her afghans and dolls were a way I could feel close to her even though we were separated by many miles.
It was when I was pregnant with you that I became interested in learning to crochet. Since Grandma lived so far away and couldn’t teach me personally, I bought a book on learning to crochet. It was a lot harder than I ever imagined! Just trying to hold the hook and keep tension on the yarn was a chore, let alone deciphering the crazy abbreviations in a pattern. I soon learned what st, yo, ch, dc, hdc, and tr stood for, and after a few times of throwing the book across the room in frustration, I became pretty good at reading and following a basic pattern.
My first go at crocheting probably would have made Grandma laugh. I attempted to make a blanket for you. Not heeding the pattern’s instructions to count all the stitches in a row to ensure no missed stitches, I ended up with one very crooked blanket. I thought about undoing all the stitches and starting over again, but in the end I decided to leave it as it was. It’s a reminder that it’s okay to make mistakes and learn from them. And learn I did! I always count my stitches now to make sure I don’t drop any along the way.
Since that initial baby blanket, I have crocheted afghans, baby booties, doilies, a wall hanging, and burp cloth and blanket edgings. Crochet always has a way of calming me and allowing me time to let my mind wander. It’s funny, but sometimes I can look at a project I’ve completed and remember exactly what I was thinking about when I was working on it.
I am so thankful for Grandma Ellison’s influence in guiding me to this wonderful craft. Although she didn’t teach me personally, without seeing her work and enjoying the gifts she made for me, I probably never would have had an interest in learning to crochet. Even though Grandma has passed on, I still feel a closeness to her when I crochet.
Who knows? Maybe my next project will be an article of clothing like this little jacket. . . On second thought, maybe I ought to stick with what works for me. After all, nobody wants to be caught dead in a sweater with one sleeve longer than the other!











2 comments:
Wow, Brenda, thanks so much! You are super sweet to say that. You are also super inspiring to me and hopefully one of these days I'll get around to posting some scrapbooking stuff. I love your crochet flowers, they look fantastic. And I really like how you used crochet in your layouts, I'll have to give it a try because I've never ever attempted it.
Great Layouts.. I love the crochet flowers.. I wish I could crochet. It looks so hard.. Maybe next retreat I can get a little crochet 101 :)
Post a Comment